RE: Single sourcing and embedded assistance

Subject: RE: Single sourcing and embedded assistance
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:35:49 -0400

A timely question, from my perspective! I decided to use Front Page to do an
intranet website, mainly because I wanted to revisit it (having taken a
course in it about 3 years ago) and because the company provides it as a
standard tool on our workstations.

Problem is, although the company provides the tool, it does not provide the
doc. No problem, right, because Microsoft has all the docs online? Uh, not
quite. It's amazing how fast I can get into trouble and not be able to find
the answer in the docs. Frustrating, too, because there's a lot of good info
there, just not what I needed. Humbling as it may be, I need some sort of
cookbook.

OK, I went back to coding in HTML and got it done in less time than it would
have taken me to find the answers I needed in the doc. The "embedded
assistance" and the online help were there, and what was there was pretty
good. The point is, it wasn't what I needed.

No slam on Microsoft, just a lot of frustration. My knowledge of the product
is out of date and sketchy, so some of the fault is mine.

The point is that a hard-copy doc - or an even online "cookbook" doc that I
could FIND (and probably print) - would certainly have simplified my "user
experience" and kept me using the product. So, even though I'm a strong
advocate of online doc in all its many forms, I think that some users,
including me, need something printed - even something minimal.

Marguerite

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com