Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archive -at- raycomm -dot- com>

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...

* ANNOUNCE: Online-learning.com Announces new Info Design Courses (NEW)
* STORY: Dan the technical writer gets a phone call about SnagIt
* TRAINING: Structured Document Publishing with FrameMaker 7
* JOB: Technical Writer Needed in Seattle

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: Online-learning.com Announces new Info Design courses

The courses provide students with the unique ability to
receive training in multiple core Information Design
skills. Courses are offered in the areas of graphic
design, technical writing, single-source documentation,
screen layout, human-computer interaction design and
web-based training design. All courses are certified by
Carleton University's Sprott School of Business.

The courses cost between $249 and $499 US and take between
four and twelve weeks to complete. They are taught by
industry experts using a proven mentored-learning model.
The model has helped OLL achieve student completion rates
of over 80%. The model combines the mentoring power of
traditional classroom training with the communications
convenience of the Internet.

For more information, please visit
http://www.online-learning.com/php_bin/ht.php?a=onlinelearning&b=t2
or contact info -at- online-learning -dot- com -dot-

09/13/02-09/20/02

STORY: Dan the technical writer gets a phone call about SnagIt

Dan's phone rang. It was his sister, asking what he was doing.

"I'm at work - what do you think I'm doing?" the technical writer joked.
"Really, I'm using the new version of SnagIt," he said.

Before she could change the subject, he hurriedly continued, "I use SnagIt
to help me create online help systems, because I use it to get all the
images for popups and other illustrations. Because, when you use SnagIt
with hotspots and popups, you can give the appearance of actually taking a
program through its functions without actually leaving the help system."

"That's great -" she started.

"The way it works," he said, wanting her to share in his enthusiasm, "is I
use SnagIt to do a screen capture in the program I'm writing about. Then
I click on a box in that screen to launch the next function. I screen
grab that function too - then in the help menu program I make a hotspot
over the box you would normally click on, so when you move the cursor over
the box and click, it brings up a popup of that next function."

"Wow, Dan, I'm so glad. So I need -" she managed to say.

"Wait - I was first was impressed by SnagIt's ability to capture the
cursor, but I really love being able to save images in different formats,"
Dan interjected.

"Dan!" she yelled. "Don't worry! I told you it's not a competition -
you're coming to my class' Career Day, and yes - you can demonstrate how
to use SnagIt."

After getting the details, Dan hung up the phone, ready to prepare his
presentation. "If THIS doesn't get them excited about technical writing,"
Dan thought, "then kids nowadays are even worse off than I thought."

www.techsmith.com

07/15/02-12/31/02

TRAINING: Structured Document Publishing with FrameMaker 7

It is not enough to know how to do structure or how to work in structure.
You must also understand the why of structure and understand what some of
the naming and other conventions should be for working with XML and
FrameMaker 7.

It is not just documentation any more and it is not just a Heading1 or
Level1Head. You now have content that must be recognized as data and that
needs to be named and structured accordingly. And the rules go out the
window on text formatting. Instead of having one paragraph format that
looks like that you want it to look, you may have multiple formats that
look the same but are used in different circumstances for XML and have
different naming. Plus, you now have pieces of structure to name and to
set up with appropriate "nesting" for re-use or database import.

Bright Path Solutions provides training for FrameMaker 7 that is above and
beyond the norm. We teach you:
- what structure is
- what the benefits of structure really are
- how to write and edit in structure
- how to build new structure (with or without a DTD)
- what XML is about
- why naming matters in structure and formats
- how XML may be part of an enterprise publishing solution
- what XML round trip really means in FrameMaker 7

Come to our training and we will teach you all about structure and XML ...
including the WHY. Coming dates include:

Sep 30-Oct 4: FrameMaker 7 Structured Doc Publishing Boot Camp - RTP NC
Oct 28-29: Very Advanced FrameMaker - RTP NC (includes conversion tables)
Nov 11-15: FrameMaker Structured Document Publishing Boot Camp - RTP NC

Our complete corporate information is on our Web site --
http://www.travelthepath.com . If you have specific questions or would
like to discuss our publishing solutions, call 919.656.2653 or
mailto:info -at- travelthepath -dot- com .

BRIGHT PATH SOLUTIONS
-an Adobe Solution Sales Provider
-an Adobe Certified Training Provider
-a WebWorks University site
-an XML services provider since 1998

09/06/02-09/13/02

JOB: Technical Writer Needed in Seattle

RESPONSIBILITIES
·Create and maintain end-user documentation, including user
guides, training guides, and online help, for Envision's
software products.
·Work with developers, use early versions of the product,
and read functional specifications and other technical
documents to determine product functionality and user tasks.
·Develop effective training materials, including training
guides and CBTs.

QUALIFICATIONS
·Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
·Proven ability to communicate complex technical subjects to
multiple audiences.
·Experience with Framemaker, Authorware, RoboHelp.
·Proven success developing both printed documentation and
online help.
·Experience in the software or telecommunications industries
is preferred.
·Strong work ethic and desire to work as a member of a team.
·Experience collaborating with software developers.

Contact:

personnel -at- click2coach -dot- com

09/04/02-09/11/02

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.