RE: what's the world coming to

Subject: RE: what's the world coming to
From: "Abelove, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Abelove -at- unistudios -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:40:33 -0700

My guess is that someone needs to write the internal department
documentation and support the needs of the project managers. The
administrative assistant here writes up the phone lists, grooms the network
folders, helps prepare UAT materials and conference materials... and takes
reservations, orders food and sets up meetings, etc. It is a good start
while she is in school and she makes about a $1.50 more an hour than the
receptionists. I started in technical writing by manning the computer labs
at school for $6 an hour. I know technical writers who started the same
way, and have moved on to bigger and better things. Tech writing is
strange... There are tech writers making $10 an hour and tech writers
making $85 an hour, just like there are business analysts making $45,000 a
year and there are business analysts making $114,000 a year.