RE: Context sensitive help for .NET

Subject: RE: Context sensitive help for .NET
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:11:30 -0400

What model and version of WebWorks are you using? There are now three
(though given you're using FM, I can eliminate one).

If you're using WWP SE then you're outta luck. It's a quick and dirty
export filter for HTML and XML only. Upgrade to WWP Pro.

If using Pro, consider an online Help format instead of HTML. I believe
the preferred Help format for .Net is MS HTML Help, but any Help system
will work (though you'll probably get funny looks if you ship WinHelp).

The context-sensitive elements for HTML would be the filename and any
named anchor within. So, if you have a file called foo.htm and a named
anchor of <a name="goo"> then your application should call foo.htm#goo.
Else break your HTML files up so there's one topic per file and just
call the filename.

A quick note: You can define your context-sensitive topics by using a
TopicAlias marker in FM for every topic you want to be
context-sensitive, and then map that accordingly in WWP. The
documentation/Help for WWP explains how to do this.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867
wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com