RE: terminology question (and a bit of a rant)

Subject: RE: terminology question (and a bit of a rant)
From: "Richardson, Leigh" <Leigh -dot- Richardson -at- mirant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:33:34 -0400

Rosemary wrote:
<<<< - I use "window" to describe popups (big or small) with a Windows standard
blue title bar.

- I use "page" to refer to the contents of the main browser window that
does include the standard browser toolbars.

- I use "tab" when the interface resembles tabs. Usually this is within a
window.

First, do these definitions make sense to you? >>>>

Our style guide here at Mirant Corporation uses window, tab, and page just as you have described. Your definitions make perfect sense to me.

We never use screen. It's either a window, a page, dialog box, or pop-up window. We used the Microsoft Manual of Style as our foundation (and it says not to use screen). We de-compiled Microsoft's version from their CD (included with the commercial guide) and then added the information as it applied to Mirant Corp. Of course, you can use screen if you want, it just means making a decision on what to use and then sticking to it.

We formed a style committee of 3 people, including our manager. They would make style decisions and then bring it to the entire group for discussion and vote. If there was a style we couldn't agree on, our manager made the decision for us. It took us about 5 months to go through the entire style guide and agree/disagree with Microsoft, and then recompile it into Mirant's style guide. Any time a style is questioned now, we bring it up in our weekly staff meetings and discuss it.

If you're the only writer, you probably have a lot of say in what goes in the style guide, however you may still have to run it by someone for approval. If use the Microsoft Style Guide as the sole resource, you have Microsoft to back you up as it is the industry standard these days. It's important to write down your styles to make it easy for the next writer, whether a co-worker or your replacement. This ensures consistency and an easy learning curve.

Any comments from others about this style guide being (or not being) the industry standard?

I would use the information they gave you and use it as an addition to what you've already written. That way the help will be all inclusive and nothing will be left out. Rewrite it in your style of writing. Take out the unnecessary words and passive voice, and make it look professional.

Good luck.
Leigh

Leigh Richardson
Senior Technical Writer
Mirant Corporation
1155 Perimeter Center West
Atlanta, Georgia
leigh -dot- richardson -at- mirant -dot- com
T 678-579-6422
M 404-375-7982

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com