RE: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures

Subject: RE: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures
From: "Watson Angela B (ext1abr)" <ext1abr -at- ups -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:29:01 -0400

Jane,

First let me say I am sympathetic to your situation.

Second, Have you considered asking for a formal meeting on this, request
that you manager or management team give you their views on "cost cutting
measures", then give them yours. Communication is key here.

I have gone from a perm full-time position to a perm part-time position
maintaining my responsibilities. However, my decision to make this move was
for other reasons. The company was new to documentation and Online help.
They hired 3 writers to workon a fairly medium online help project. After
we created the prototype and got ti past the management team, work slowed to
a trickle. I was hired for my Robohelp experience - 5yrs. I became very
frustrated at going in and having little to nothing to do - I also had the
reponsibility of keeping the other two writers working.

I made the decision to go to management and tell them I was not earning the
money they were paying me. I asked to move from full-time salaried to
part-time hourly and we negotiated that I would work 20 -25 hours a week,
more if needed. This freed me up for other things and they were
appreciative of my insight. I was still there daily o give the other
writers direction with Robohelp and to attend meetings if needed.

Just my 2 cents,
Angie Watson
UPS Corporate
International Finance & Accounting