Pls snd citations re title User Guide

Subject: Pls snd citations re title User Guide
From: "Ruby Isaacs" <ruby -at- quendi -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 05:02:01 -0400

Will you please send me any citations from a style guide, dictionary or other reference material that recommends the title User Guide?

As shown in the following citations, the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications recommends the title User's Guide and The New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage seems to recommend the title Users Manual.

The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications states:
"Title: User's Guide
Audience: End users
Content: Information about installing and using the product, possibly including descriptions of new features. Possibly the only printed book in the package."

The New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage states:
"Although an apostrophe is not correct in terms like the following, increasingly it is omitted when the sense of the term is descriptive rather than possessive--that is, when for is meant rather than of.

teachers college
teachers union
boys club
Merchants Bank