Re: Has anyone had any experience with Haldane?

Subject: Re: Has anyone had any experience with Haldane?
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:41:36 +0100

I threw some money at Bernard Haldane & Associates several
years ago, and I think I got my money's worth.

They are a professional career-counselling and coaching outfit.
They deal with anybody, but seem to have, as customers, a
preponderance of managers and executives, though they're
equipped and flexible enough to provide value for people who
are not necessarily in the cut-throat business fast-track.

They'll certainly help you find new employment, but not in
the sense of being a broker or agency. You pay them a set fee.
Your future employer doesn't owe them anything.

The first thing they help you to sort out is: What do I really
want to be doing with my life. Often it is not necessarily a
continuation of what you've been doing, or "the next step"
in that same path. They have their share of stories of longterm
executive types who have started new lives running their
own bed-and-breakfasts or making/selling their own art,
or writing the great [insert nationality] novel.

Once you've thrashed out what it really is that you want to
be when you grow up (or when you get past the middle-age
crisis, or whatever), then they help you focus on making it
happen. It's assistance that you could garner from any
number of sources, but they put it together well, they seem
to take pains to hire (and to retain) good people, and they
let you come back repeatedly over a five-year period without
further payment.

They provide good coaching in preparing top-notch resumes
and focussed cover-letters, and then in the requisite interview
skills (video critique of practice sessions, etc.).

In my own case, I had moved away from technical writing,
and it turned out that I really wanted to get back to it... so I
did, and have been quite content for the past four years.
Again, I am satisfied that I got my money's worth, and I
don't hesitate to recommend them to others who are
considering them. But, as always, YMMV.

As well, I dealt with the office in Montreal. I can't speak
for others.

/kevin

--
"DIRty DEEDS, and they're DONE dirt cheap."
[Sing it with me, now...]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com