RE: Technical Documentation solutions?

Subject: RE: Technical Documentation solutions?
From: "Manley Clifford (GFD1CEM)" <GFD1CEM -at- ups -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:11:47 -0400

I is serious as a heart attack.

I have been a Technical Writer and Business Analyst in many IS/IT
environments for over twenty-three years. I have watched my brethren design,
build, implement and walk away from every sort of failed documentation
scheme. I have watched corporations hire flocks of TWs to be documentation
police. I have watched an entire industry of tech writers come to life,
busily perpetuating the status quo. I have watched an entire industry of
content management and document repositories come alive - and it's all a
false prophecy.

None of it - not one company in this world - can say with an honest heart
that their documentation is Accurate, Usable and Cost-Effective. I cannot
walk into a single IT shop and ask at random for a document and watch them
find it easily and assure me that I can trust it.

Bits and pieces. Whatever was burning last month. Those are the docs that
might be found and may be current.

I think it's time we stopped doing what we have always done and expecting
different results.
You do what you always have and you'll get what you always got.

I am one who is ready for a sea change in how documentation is done.

So, yep, I are damn serious.
Ed

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com