Re: Acrobat Link Question

Subject: Re: Acrobat Link Question
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:19:18 -0600

Sandra Tschauner wrote:

> I have a document in Acrobat which is a Flowchart with linked definitions.
>
> The flowchart is on one page and definitions are listed below. The problem
> is when a user clicks on the definition link and goes to the definition
> page, several definitions are listed, creating confusion as to which
> definition they are reading.

When you click a link, Acrobat (full or Viewer) puts the destination at the
top of the doc window. Unless you're in Single Page view, not Continuous,
and the destination falls too near the bottom of the page; then, the bottom
of the page is at the bottom of the window, and the destination is where it
is. :-} There's not much you can do about the latter case; even if you set
the PDF's opening default to Continuous view, users can change this to suit
themselves.

I'm not sure I understand why this is so potentially confusing. Assuming
that you precede each definition with the term or name being defined and
format the terms and definitions in a way that provides some affordances to
the reader. For instance:

Foobar2:
The second foobar in the system. Follows Foobar1 and precedes Foobar3...
<Back to Flowchart>

Foobar3:
The third...

HTH!