RE: Help - I/T Library

Subject: RE: Help - I/T Library
From: "Lakritz, Andrew M." <Andrew -dot- Lakritz -at- Ruesch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:59:23 -0400

Hi Joy--

I have implemented a knowledge portal at our corporation using SharePoint
Portal Server (for the Technology department). It has several attractive
features that made it attractive to us. Low cost. Workflow enabled. Check in
and check out and versioning of documents. Easy to use interface (Web
interface based on Microsoft's digital dashboard technology). Fairly easy to
administer. Staff do not need to learn new formats or tools (they can use
Word, Excel, Visio, Photoshop, whatever). It's easy to enhance with readily
available Web parts from Microsoft or Third-party, or you can grow your own
if you know some JavaScript or vbscript. Most of the other solutions we
looked at out there are much heavier, and much more expensive. The
technology of SharePoint Portal server borrows from Exchange, SQL Server,
and Microsoft's indexing facility. We've had it up for about a year now with
pretty good results.

Good luck,

Andrew Lakritz