Re: Large help projects and version control software

Subject: Re: Large help projects and version control software
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:40:38 -0700

While I've only managed small departments, I've documented
version control and workflow software too, so ...

The check-out procedure serves several purposes. Yes,
it puts a copy of the doc on the local machine. But
it also locks the file so that only the person that
checked out a file can check it in. That safeguard
is there to protect your team from itself. It alerts
the rest of the team that someone is working on that
file so that they won't. What you're protecting against
is two people making changes to the same file and losing
one person's changes when the two new versions are saved
one atop the other.

Yes, you can override the checkout lock. But you should
only use this for "emergencies" -- for example, when
someone goes on vacation and forgets to unlock their
files. But when you do override a lock be sure that the
locker has checked in the most recent version, or again,
you'll have lost work.

IMO, the larger the team, the more important to follow
an appropriate process.

HTH
-Sue Gallagher

At 09:07 AM 8/19/02 -0700, Steven Brown wrote:

I'd like to hear how mid- to large-size documentation
departments (five or more writers) manage large help
projects using version control software such as CVS or
PVCS VM...

...Our department doesn't seem
to follow a strict procedure for managing the files,
and I fear it's only a matter of time before something
is mucked up.

...one can "get" a copy
of a file (which is supposedly read-only) but then
make it writable, seemingly allowing one to override
the "check out" feature of the system. Should we
always be checking out files, or does that restrict
workflow too severely?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com