RE: Graphic capture question - Snagit experts

Subject: RE: Graphic capture question - Snagit experts
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:00:14 -0700

Anton Coetzee admits "I am stumped for the moment."

Word and Graphic

I need to capture a form As a gif / jpeg whatever format (1 full page - Word document) and insert it into my Word document after I have reduced it to 85% of its normal size.

My problem is although I can capture the form with my present capturing tool SnagIt - I can only get the whole page (if I reduce the original view in word to 70% which renders the content unreadable. OR capturing the original as two images and joining them. - not a nice sight with the tools here at work.

I was sure on a previous project using a earlier version of Snagit 5 I could whilest scrolling down the page actually capture the unseen portion (it was brought into view as it was captured) or am I deaming.

How can I capture a graphic which covers two possible screens captures without joining them.

What advice can you guys give Me Apart from RTFM Which I have done several times in the last week.
I use SnagIt6.2 this is what the help file says:

"Available for IMAGE and TEXT captures.
Use custom scroll to capture scrolling screens that can not be captured using Auto Scroll. Capture small, scrolling lists in customized programs. For example, use custom scroll to capture a scrolling list from a dialog where there is more than one. This tells SnagIt exactly the scroll region to be captured.

1 Select Input > Advanced > Custom Scroll.
2 Select Output > Preview Window to see how your capture looks before saving.
3 If a SnagIt Tip opens, read it and click [Close].
4 Open the list or dialog to be captured.
5 Push the Hotkeys (Default = <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <P>). The cursor changes to a cross hair pointer.
6 Outline the area that scrolls with the mouse. Select a larger region outside the area that scrolls in some cases (for example, a header above the scrolling area). The cursor changes to an arrow and hand. See Custom Scroll Example 1.

7 Put the cursor over the down scroll arrow that causes the area you have selected to scroll and click one time to start scrolling and capture. The list starts to auto scroll. See Custom Scroll Example 2.
8 Examine the capture in the Preview Window and make sure you have captured all of the scrolling list. See Custom Scroll Example 3.

NOTE: Cancel the capture using the <Esc> key or by clicking the right mouse button. Stop the capture prematurely after it starts by clicking the left mouse button.

SnagIt Ver. 6.1 Copyright © 2002 Techsmith Corp."

It works for me.

YMMV

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer