re: Run Time Error and yellow triangle in lower left corner....?

Subject: re: Run Time Error and yellow triangle in lower left corner....?
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 09:55:47 -0400

Diana (db -at- movingaheadcom -dot- com) also wrote:

>Two other tidbits: The site visitor was not able to get the e-mail
>link to work on his end, yet it worked on mine. We both use
>RoadRunner.

Are you referring to "mailto" links, like the one on this page?

http://movingaheadcommunications.com/contactus.html

These mailto links depend on how the user's browser is set up to
work. The browser must launch (or contact) an email program, and
tell it to open a new mail, addressed to the recipient. And the
email program, of course, must let itself be manipulated this way.
Another problem is that the browser might be set up to use an email
program other than the one the user relies upon. For example, IE may
open a new mail in Outlook Express, but the user actually uses AOL
for their email, has never set up Outlook Express, and is baffled as
to why this doesn't work. User's can (and should) configure their
browsers to do the appropriate thing, but you know how that is ;)

I notice that you have a contact form above the mailto link; this is
the usual alternative for those who are not set up to use mailto
links. But your contact form here is quite specific, and not really
an alternative for sending you a more general email.

Perhaps you could use another form, below the mailto link, that is
just one free-form text area, and is clearly labelled as an
alternative way to send a general email. Or dispense with mailto
links altogether, and just use contact forms, if it would get too
confusing to offer so many alternatives.

--

Greg Holmes

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com