Re: Personal POV

Subject: Re: Personal POV
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:23:55 -0600

Doc Lettvin posted a _truly wonderful_ message that included the following:

> I am a great believer in the positive effects of discussion and even
> argument. Only through the continuing give and take of intelligent minds
who
> see the world, and our profession from different angles do we progress.

I couldn't agree more. And how will others correct the errors in their
thinking if I don't take the time to point them out? ;-)

> I know that I not only enjoy them, I get educated by them. I can think of
> little that I would enjoy more than to sit across the table from Andrew,
or
> any of the others who may take issue with the content of my orations, with
> glass of Laphroaig (preferably the 16-year-old) and spend an evening
> swapping war stories and dueling over the philosophy of technical writing.

Laphroaig??? Talk about "a bit over the top"! Couldn't we stick to a nice
_highland_ malt?

> But, we live and work in a world that is made small most effectively by
this
> medium, so TECHWR-L becomes the tabletop, over which I raise my glass and
> toast my partners in crime.

Now, there's one of those gleaming, perfect sentences that make me go "Oooh,
I wish I'd written that!"

> Please, if you don't like the arguments, don't read them. But don't
> disparage them either, this is the way some of us learn and grow.
>
> L'chaim!

Prost! Skol! Here's mud in your eye!
And, have a great weekend, everyone!

Richard