Re: To STC or not to STC?

Subject: Re: To STC or not to STC?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:35:59 -0600

> I'm debating going to a "local" STC meeting---for me, the nearest
> chapter is 2.5 hours drive away. I'm just not sure if the 5 hour round
> trip plus 2-3 hours at the meeting will be worth the networking.
> Thoughts, anyone?

Depends. If you've never been to one, you'll never know. I've been to good
ones, and I've been to some that were a complete waste of time.

Not sure where you're located, but in many parts of the US, jobs are
scarce. If you're looking to find work, be aware that you'll be mingling
with your *competition*, not necessarily people who can help you.

During better economic times, there's often some good schmoozing to be
done at these meetings. But recently it seems like a bunch of people
asking each other "Do you know of any openings anywhere? Where do *you*
work - are they hiring there?" etc.

But I am a fan of the STC, for what that's worth. Their salary survey is a
good negotiation tool, and their publications can keep you abreast of the
latest books, tools, and methodologies. There are many, however, that do
not share my view. Good luck!

Keith Cronin

My name is Keith. I'm a sigaholic. It's been eight days since I composed a
clever sig line.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com