Re: MS Word--Page Breaks

Subject: Re: MS Word--Page Breaks
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:55:25 -0600

> Hi All: I would like to know if anyone has encountered page break problems with MS Word. For example, you format a document perfectly with page breaks strategically placed, and another person opens that document but sees blank pages and odd page breaks. Now on this topic, I've been told that the printer you're using affects the where the page breaks appear.

> Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Obviously, I would like to format a document that appears the same no matter what printer you're using. Is that possible with MS Word? TIA!

Printer drivers can have a major effect on how Word docs display on other
people's machines. Because of this, hard-coded page breaks can cause you
some problems, as can cross-references that refer to specific page
numbers.

A primitive and not completely dependable way around that is to ensure
that there is enough room for several more lines of text after each page
break you insert. The thinking with this approach is that just about
anybody's printer should be able to fit that much text on a single page.
But it can make for a lot of white space at the bottom.

Another approach is to not use page breaks. Let some of your heading
styles define how the headings and subsequent text break over pages. But
this means that there's no guaranteeing that what you put at the bottom of
page 16 doesn't show up at the top of page 17 on somebody else's machine.

I don't know a foolproof answer - that's why many people eschew Word for
shared copies of final documents. PDFs allow you more control in this
respect, but are subject to their own limitations.

There's a popular Word list that I'm sure many will tell you about, but I
don't know the URL off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Keith Cronin

Jeez, talk about a special interest group:
http://www.swordswallow.org

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com