Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:52:34 -0700 (PDT)

"Greg Thompson"" <gthompson -at- movaris -dot- com> wrote

> Some one remarked that the tech writing/web design fields (I would even
> add programming to that list too. I have a number of talented senior
> programmer friends who have been unemployed for a long time) are
> saturated. If this is true, no matter what skills one adds, even if they
> are good ones, there still will be a large body of individuals who won't
> be employed in this field for a long time; at least until the next big
> boom (My senior programmer friend has just about decided to leave the
> industry all together)

That's a good point, and you are correct to a certain degree. Its not merely
about adding skills, but adding skills that are in demand. There are a fair
number of senior-level people unemployed because the skills they possess have
become outdated or less valuable. Web design, as an example, is a useful skill to
have, but its value as a skill has sharply declined. Hence, you can't expect to
make $75K a year as a web designer any more. That skill isn't in demand and hence
isn't as valuable.

> So, assuming the above to be the case, what non tech fields have people
> considered moving into if they could no longer work at technical
> writers? Also, has anyone considered how they would downsize their life
> style if they did lose a high paying tech writer job?

You don't need to downsize your lifestyle if you can identify a different or new
career you can prosper at. Its just that what you want to do, and what the market
is paying big money for, might not be in synch. I'd love it if I could get paid
$500,000 a year for sitting at home playing Counter-Stike all day, but that just
isn't going to happen, regardless of how good of a Counter-Strike player I am.
There is absolutely no market for a fat slob sitting at home playing
Counter-Strike (believe me, if there was, I'd be all over it.)

If you find a new career, one that you can really get into, and there is some
real money in it, then you can prosper. The trick is finding that career and
pursuing it. I did it and was able to re-invent myself almost entirely in a new
career. As such, I have been able to biggie size my lifestyle.

Andrew Plato

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l