RE: Help with man2html

Subject: RE: Help with man2html
From: Rick Finch <no -dot- spam -dot- please -at- totalise -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:25:25 +0100

Hi Megan, thanks for responding.

>Check out documentation on man2html at
>http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/man2html.html.
I already have but didn't find anything.

>Can you be more specific as to what's not working? man2html works fine
>for me (I posted my test version at
>http://www.kalamitykat.com/ctags.html).
Yes it works well.
>When replying, can you specify:
>1. What OS are you using?
Mandrake Linux (Perl 5.6.0) and/or NT4 (ActivePerl 5.6.1) alternately.
man2html 3.0.1.
>2. Is the source manpage viewing correctly?
Yes, I tested some Samba manpages with the same results.
>3. The exact command you're using?
Two different approaches:

man2html < input_file.3 > output_file.3.html

This is prefered (for scripting purposes) but it tends to deliver either empty
files or, HTML file header and footer with an NROFF middle. It did, in the
past (on a different machine) give correct output. But if you used any options
the files were blank again.

man command_name | man2html command_name.3.html

This version works but you need to install the manpages and I'd find writing a
script more difficult.

>4. Are there any errors being given?
No. It appears to work fine, with the command prompt returning fine.

I know I'm not giving you much to go on but I'll be working on it again on
Monday! Thanks,
Rick

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com