Re: Terminology problem? (take II)

Subject: Re: Terminology problem? (take II)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:40:35 -0600

Geoff wrote:
> I'll stick to
> my guns on this one: while "last/first name" will work fine for the majority
> of your audience, "family/given or first name" will work for everyone.

Geoff, what's my daughter's "family" name? It's not Cronin. It's not her
mother's last name. Yet we're all *family*, legally.

That's why I maintain that IN THE US, last name/first name is the way to
go. Yes it requires some initial handholding for foreigners getting
acclimated to US-style paperwork. But the bottom line is that's how we do
it, from our income tax forms to our orders on the Barnes and Nobles' Web
site.

Keith Cronin

Sometimes I wonder if that recruiter at the job fair five years ago was
being completely honest with me. Did Elvis *really* get his start as a
tech writer? I mean, when am *I* going to be "discovered?"

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com