RE: Technical writers and multimedia?

Subject: RE: Technical writers and multimedia?
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:11:31 -0700

Speaking for myself, I have never had to produce any sort of documentation
in a multimedia format such as you described.

By and large, in my experience, producing content has always taken
precedence to the medium through which it will be presented, excepting of
course for consideration of the limitations/advantages of the format (i.e.,
online vs. print).

Multimedia is still multimedia and there are folks who specialize in that.
In my experience, however, their role is mainly one of production; they
generally do not develop the content itself (research, interviews, writing,
revising, etc.). Sort of like the folks one might hire to produce a
corporate video.

Such a course may still be very valuable - who knows what direction things
might go in. But I would not offer such a course at the expense of a course
in, say, FrameMaker or XML. They may not be as sexy as multimedia, but they
would prove more valuable. Hopefully your students are also getting some
good training in basic CS - a programming language or two, network
infrastructure?

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com