Re: Personalities - was: Average hours worked - correction

Subject: Re: Personalities - was: Average hours worked - correction
From: <edmanley -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:06:40 -0400

I have to side with Andrew here, folks, and ask all readers of this list to remember that we often reveal personal thoughts and behaviors here that have nothing whatsoever to do with our professional lives, and may even conflict.

I might feel comfortable talking on this list about topics that are completely out of touch with things that I am doing at work. I might argue for agile lightweight documentation processes on this list, while my employer has me implementing CMM's heavyweight formal methodologies.

I too have had trust issues on techwr-l. In one very similar case an ex-whirl-r used my email address to look up my employer, and used information found on their web site to reveal the identity of the employer whose issue I was talking about in a very embarrassing manner that would have cost me my job if any client or employee had seen it. Eric Ray killed the posts and barred the writer, but clearly this pointed out the danger of revealing ourselves online.

I am much more careful about what I say here after that experience, and post only from personal email addresses. It is a shame that any of us should have to be scared of the actions of another.

For techwr-l to continue to exist and to provide the wonderful value we all benefit from we must all behave in ways that support the open, trusting nature of our platform for discourse.

Personal attacks are bad, but tying personalities to employers is much worse -- so let's all do neither.

Ed

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com