RE: Pleasing a Manager

Subject: RE: Pleasing a Manager
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:49:04 -0700

CJ,
It's difficult to answer your question (do they want you to quit)
without knowing more about your relationship with your manager.
Presumably this has been going on for some time? If so, then the problem
between the two of you is probably not related to the company's tenuous
financial position.

Normally I would agree with Sean's advice: it is good to take criticism,
and it sounds like you're capable of doing that. Obviously, you do not
want to alienate this person. However, if someone told me that my
document was terrible and then admitted to not reading it, I would
laugh. Out loud. I've dealt with an editor who doesn't know what the
heck she's talking about. It's a royal pain, but at least there are
specifics to address. Here, you can't work on anything.

The best I can suggest is to document your efforts to get specific
feedback. Send requests in e-mail. Make notes. You cannot perform to
standards if no standards are set. Possibly try working up the chain of
command, but be careful. You don't want to be a target either.

Finally, let go as much as you can. This person obviously has issues and
you have no control over them. You can only control what you do. It's
natural to feel frustrated, but to beat yourself up over someone else's
inadequacies is to cause yourself grief you don't need and don't
deserve.

Take care and good luck.

Lisa

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l