RE: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: RE: About proprietary writing samples
From: "Foster, Willow" <WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:53:50 -0500

letoured -at- together -dot- net [mailto:letoured -at- together -dot- net] wrote:
~>
~> The "writer" is being hired as the expert. The writer is
~> not someone who takes the work of others and makes it sound
~> better.

Yes, that is my point. If you are an expert in your field, you should be
able to create something from scratch. Are you really trying to argue that
because you are an expert in your field, you are unable to write a sample?

~> A made up sample in the case I used, that would
~> mean creating a 100 or 200 page dummy document with all the
~> engineering detail of the real thing -- and which would have
~> no relevance without containing everything would be included
~> for the actual machine -- Now put that into the context of the
~> interviewer who knows you came from a competitor -- and he
~> would know where the information came from! So the whole idea
~> is pretty lame.

Seems to me that 200 pages is an awfully big sample. A sample is just a
piece of documentation that gives the interviewer an idea of what kind of
work a writer produces. Personally, I would never use anything more that a
couple of pages. The sample shows how I write, the conversation shows what I
know.

Willow

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com