TOC page in HTML help?

Subject: TOC page in HTML help?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:10:59 -0400

Ilana Cohney reports: <<I recently saw an online Help manual which had no
icons in its TOC. It looked really clean and elegant. Simply had the TOC1
in capitals and the TOC2 indented in another colour in lower case. Does
anyone know of a e-help tool that can create a TOC like this?>>

Not sure how you'd do this _directly_ in (say) RoboHelp, but I can say that
if you simply accept the default TOC produced by the software, you're doing
your readers a disservice. At a minimum, use the tool's various functions to
reorder the TOC and make it clearer and more effective. Personally, I always
create my own TOC (using the autogenerated one to make sure I don't miss
anything). That lets me produce something optimal for my users, as heavily
customized as I want it to be.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that."--Kim Roper

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com