Average hours worked

Subject: Average hours worked
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:12:48 +0100

There's two totally different takes on this.

1 You work for yourself (own company, contractor, whatever). You
estimate for a job and give a price/timescale. You've agreed to do it
for that price in a set timescale and that's what you meet. If you've
messed up the estimate, tough. Hopefully you'll learn for the next time.

2 You're an employee and the boss/company/whatever gets the
estimate wrong. I see no reason why you should be out of pocket for
somebody else's mistake. OK it happens occasionally and, if there's
overtime or some other remuneration (time off etc) then fine. I don't
think anyone objects to that. However, if it's over ALL the time then
it's bad management (or they're taking advantage to get it done cheap
and make more profit).

To use Andrew's plumber - if it's just him and it takes longer, he loses
out. If it's him and his staff, I doubt if he'd get away with not paying
them.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.