RE: Visio and File Size...

Subject: RE: Visio and File Size...
From: "Rebecca Downey" <rdowney -at- matrox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:10:23 -0400

Good afternoon.

Justin Ressler asked:
>If I use the Insert>Picture>From File option, will this help
>to keep my file size down?

If you mean the size of your Visio file down, then yes.

I've been using visio since version 3 (they're currently at 7 or 2002) I
found file sizes in general ballooned in Visio 2000 (the previous version,
5.0, created much smaller files).

When you import->picture->from file it does a bit of compression on the fly,
but essentially pastes/embeds it in the visio file. So you are still going
to have the size of the visio file before the import/paste + the size of the
screen capture after some compression.

I've had the best luck creating the smallest file size I can *before*
importing. My screen captures are all originally BMPs. I've had lots of luck
reducing their pallet size and color depth to keep them small.

Jennifer Maitland said:
>I'd import Visio into Word the same way you'd do it in Framemaker.

I actually print the Visio file as a PDF (using Adobe Distiller) and then
import it by reference into Framemaker. I found I got better quality results
when generating PDFs or trying to convert the graphic into something else if
I started with either BMP or EPS (depends if the graphic is vector or
static).

When dealing with word, I often have to remove the cut-and-pasted visio file
from the word file, find the original and then generate a BMP of it to paste
into word and resize accordingly. If I didn't do this, inevitably, someone
would either print the document and complain about the quality or get the
document and find the graphic missing.

Ah the joys of sending files by email. ;)

Hope this helps.
Rebecca Downey Senior Technical Writer
ITG:NBM Matrox Electronic System
1055 St Regis, Dorval, Quebec, H9P 2T4