Question about graphics - PDF, HTML

Subject: Question about graphics - PDF, HTML
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:51:55 -0400

I checked the archives but was unable to come up with anything that addressed the issue my group is having, which is that the process we use for graphics turns out lovely PDFs but really, really, awful-looking HTML pages.

The process (don't ask me to justify it, I inherited this from a previous company, didn't want to mess with what seemed to work) is to take a screen shot (SnagIt) at 600 dpi, save it as a GIF, import into Frame at 600 dpi and then scale it up 350%. They turn out tolerably crisp in PDFs. Recently we've expanded our workflow to include HTML for some documents, and the graphics are quite poor - they look as bad as or worse than they do in Frame. Screen shots taken at low resolution (72) seem to make good HTML pages but are far too large in Frame, and any down-scaling introduces blurriness again.

Rather than change settings at random and see which ones might improve things, I thought I would ask this august company if you have solved similar problems in the past? Presumably the matter is a simple one created by my own ignorance of graphics formats.

Thank you,

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Workscape, Inc.