Re: Career path

Subject: Re: Career path
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:11:45 -0400

>>What I'm puzzled by is this snippet:
>>
>>> It would mean more responsibility for the same pay. Granted, I do
>>> the work now, but I'm not really responsible for it :-) Big Difference!!
>>
>>Why is it a big difference, and why *wouldn't* you want that
>>responsibilty, if you're already doing the work?

I agree that titles are always bogus. You should never attach you feeling of
self worth to what people call you. The skills you sell when job hunting
shouldn't be based on titles but on actions and responsibilities.

But, given the scenario above I would refuse to have the additional
responsibilities written into my job description. I think there is a big
difference between being responsible or not. If you are responsible for the
additional tasks, they can overload your schedule and you must fit them into
your workload. If you are not responsible for the additional tasks, you have
control over whether to accept them or not. Refusing the additional tasks
actually also works in the original poster's favour in two other ways IMO.

Firstly, additional tasks performed above and beyond the job description will
look impressive on the resume and can be sold as being a 'can do' kind of
person.

Secondly, the original poster was dissatisfied with their raise and when the
additional tasks performed were mentioned to back up a larger raise HR did not
offer more money but created a new job title and description for the same pay
expecting the original poster to be bought out by a mere title change. I say
rubbish. Accept 'Senior Writer' with no additions to the job description.
Whether to continue performing the additional duties is another matter. If they
are still performed ensure that each time they are done the fact that they are
not part of the job is underlined. Otherwise, perhaps it's time for a little
'work to rule'. Start refusing to do what isn't in the job description unless
there is more than ample free time and as a writer would otherwise be idle. If
all 'non-job description' tasks are relegated to the bottom of the pile and
start backing up, perhaps HR will see that their choice is to recognise the
talents of the employee they have and compensate them accordingly, or they'll
have to hire someone else and spend much more.

Eric L. Dunn