Re: distiller/fonts

Subject: Re: distiller/fonts
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:37:16 -0600

Jennifer Maitland wrote

> I am getting the message below when I try to distill a short document
> created in Framemaker into a PDF - I am not using the font Times-Roman,
> anyone know why this message is coming up? Thanks in advance,

Well, Times-Roman is specified for _something_ in the System_Overview.ps
file that Distiller is trying to distill -- and, apparently, you don't have
that font installed. If you're _certain_ that the font's not being used in
FrameMaker, perhaps it's in an imported graphic.

Simple solution? Buy and install the Times font family (better yet, Adobe's
"Type Basics" package, which includes Times and the other "standard 35"
PostScript fonts).

Alternatively, check all your imported graphics and/or text insets -- are
they coming from someone who has Times and used it? Did you create them
using Times? (If you have a physical PostScript printer, Times and other
printer-resident fonts are "available" while that printer is selected, even
though you don't have them on your computer. Then, when you change to the
Distiller printer, those printer-resident fonts are no longer available.)

If these suggestions don't get you anywhere, it would be a good idea to tell
us more about your situation: OS, FM version, Acrobat Distiller version, how
you're producing the PostScript file, etc.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs