Master Docs in Word

Subject: Master Docs in Word
From: Tara Bowman <tara -at- ORCA1 -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:11:06 -0700

I’m creating new documentation standards for a small software company that
uses Word for all documentation. I’m trying to determine whether or not to
use the Master/Sub-Documents option in Word for larger documents with
multiple authors. I'm using XP but most of the contributors will be using
Word 2k (if that makes a difference).

There was a posting in the archives with links to articles stating
definitely to stay away from this feature, but I was wondering how many of
you out there agree. Are the advantages of sub-documents worth any headaches
I may encounter in the future? Any suggestions for alternate options for
documentation with multiple contributors?

I’m on digest, so please copy any responses directly to my email.

Thanks for the input,

Tara Bowman
Technical Writer
OR Concepts Applied