Re: Alternative to 'Click on...' for visually impaired

Subject: Re: Alternative to 'Click on...' for visually impaired
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:15:34 -0400

Burnett S M (ISeLS) wrote:

Hi, all

Welcome.

Big adventure - my first time entering a chat-room environment.

Fasten your seatbelt.

There was much correspondence some weeks ago about whether to use 'Click...'
or 'Click on...' for instructions.

My problem is a little different - in building our website of academic
courses (here at the University of Glamorgan, Wales, UK), accessibility is a
key issue. We need an alternative phrasing for 'Click/Click on' which will
be suitable both for the sighted user and for the visually impaired user who
may be relying on a screen reading programme such as SuperNova.

Examples include:
Click on this link to go to the xxxx website.

Click here for more information on xxxxx.

Click on this link to open the Word document.

Click to start the [multimedia] presentation.

My recollection is that the consensus was to use click, rather than click on, if it is unavoidable but that it is better to eschew the use of either. So your examples would be marked as hyperlinks and would read, respectively:

xxxx

more information

DocTitle

start

I'm not familiar with SuperNova. Does it have a way of audibly alerting the user that text is hyperlinked? If so, that should be sufficient.

That said, if you really need a word to label hyperlinks, would "select" be an appropriate choice? How do users follow links if they do not click them?

Dick