Re: Help! Relative links in MS Word

Subject: Re: Help! Relative links in MS Word
From: John Locke <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:54:18 -0700

Hello,

I just faced a similar issue, and came up with a solution I haven't heard before... using INCLUDETEXT fields. Anybody else try this?

I tried using RD fields, since I remember others discussing them, but they only included files in the TOC and Index, but didn't include the actual text.

BOLLAND, Craig wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I know that from bitter experience. As I said, however, the
clients requirement is that users can either access the chapters as
individual files OR as a single file (ie: complete manual), due to network
bandwidth restrictions. It must be in Word, and nothing else. I'll be damned
if I have to make two copies of the manual, with all the subseqent version
headaches this will entail.

Craig, I just took a main document, and inserted each chapter, one at a time, using INCLUDETEXT fields. The result is one long document containing all of the chapters, using the main document's styles, headers, and footers.

The TOC worked. Styleref fields in the header worked. Everything worked as I needed it to--of course, you can't edit text from a chapter in the main document, as your changes will get lost as soon as you update fields. But then, as I understand it, that's the leading cause of master documents corrupting the sub documents, anyway.

INCLUDETEXT fields, like any other field, can be edited to exactly what you want them to. Mine looked like this:

{ INCLUDETEXT "Chapter_I.doc" }

And it successfully picks up changes to the original file, whenever you update fields.

The current main document is 352 pages, and so far, seems to be working fine.

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com