RE: Distiller on an NT workstation (LONG)

Subject: RE: Distiller on an NT workstation (LONG)
From: "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:43:20 +0100

> Oh, Fiona, that is just _so_ wrong.
I know. I am actually embarrassed that I have spent so much time working
like this. I kept telling myself that when I got the time I would try to
solve this problem. But of course I never got the time. I wonder why ;)
I have an appalling ignorance about Distiller <blushes again>, because for
the past few years I simply copied the PS to a watched folder on another
writer's machine and it magically produced PDFs for me. In the past few
months, one tech writer left, two were fired, and the last writer (me) had
to move office <sound of violins in background>, so I can't do that any
more.

> 1. What version of Acrobat is installed (Help > About Acrobat > Distiller;
I want the line of small type below the product name)?
Version 3.01

> 2. Where are the font folders Distiller is looking at (Settings >
> Font Locations? They're on your machine, rather than the network, I hope.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Distiller\Distillr

> 3. Are you embedding all fonts (Settings > Job Options > Fonts)?
Well, I wasn't. But after reading your mail, I set the Font Embedded to
true, to see if this was the problem. Same errors as before (limitcheck when
networked, white text when not).

> 4. Are you using weird fonts, or are you using all standard
> TrueType fonts, or are you using Type 1 fonts, or are you using a
> mixture of TrueType and Type 1 fonts?
Formats for the Frame docs (the big books) are Arial, Times New Roman, or
Courier New - they're either written by me or one of the previous writers,
so I'm pretty sure there are no weird fonts or formats lurking in there.
Formats for the Word docs (marketing documents and white papers) are
Helvetica, Times New Roman, or Courier New - because these usually originate
from someone else, they sometimes include weird fonts, but I try to
eliminate them before printing. However, I'm having the same problems no
matter which application is used to create the PS.
When I am logged onto the network, Distiller complains "AdobeSerifMM not
found, using Courier". Which is weird, because I'm not using AdobeSerifMM
anywhere.

> After you answer these questions, I'm reasonably certain someone
> here can guide you in the right direction.
Thanks, it would be much appreciated.
Fiona.

This email (and any attachment) is private and confidential. If you were
not meant to receive it, please delete it and tell us by phone or email.
Although we scan all email and attachments we do not accept responsibility
for viruses.