RE: Jobs in Japan (was Re: Osaka-ben)

Subject: RE: Jobs in Japan (was Re: Osaka-ben)
From: "Christopher Castro" <ccastro -at- planetx -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:19:05 -0700

>Others considering this might look at the JET (Japan
>Exchange and Teaching) program, sponsored by their
>Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
>
>http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/jet/index.html
>
>I'm past 40 so disqualified, but it looks like a good
>program for the younger set.

I, in fact applied to this program last year but was not accepted (they
only accept about 30-40% of the applicants). The program lasts for 1
year, and they pay about $30,000 after taxes--enough to live in Tokyo,
which is where I wanted to reside. I'm applying again next year, now
that I finally have some teaching experience. Worth checking out,
people, even if you are competing against me. ;-)

And yes, I believe 30 is the age limit (they want recent grads).

--Chris Castro