Re: Why'd that take so long?

Subject: Re: Why'd that take so long?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:58:43 -0400

To speed up the time it takes to get docs done, you have to multi-task
(hallucinations of hearing Fifth Element "muul-tee pass").

>From the original post it would seem you are using Frame. So what I suggest you
do is first create a completely empty template.

Then, you concentrate on content. Keep the mess of formats, but each time you
decide to keep or create a format add it to the empty template. Document the
template formats with an example paragraph to visually track the styles.

Import the template into all the files in the project (use the power of books).
Learn to use the powers of keeping "sub-templates" for common style elements
that don't necessarily belong in all docs (once again use the power of books to
import these formats into the documents to which they apply).

As you work on files and update the template, keep a list of all deleted formats
or formats that are renamed. Then, only as you work on another doc, import
templates and perform find replace operations to change the deleted/renamed
formats.

That still leaves the problem of removing extraneous styles form documents, but
that can be handled with plug-ins and scripts. Or, when working on a file copy
all the content into a clean template and save over the original file.

Then, you'll be in a situation of slowly improving and untangling the mess but
can at anytime output valid content that 'appears' correct. Someday all will be
perfect, and getting it perfect will not interfere with required work and
output.

Note, that while I understood that Frame was being used, I'm certain a similar
approach could be found that would work equally well in Word.

Eric L. Dunn