Re: Single Sourcing with Quark...

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing with Quark...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:36:06 -0400

"Ron Sering" <rsering -at- attbi -dot- com> asks"

<<<My current project calls for me to revise a manual that is in Quark
Express and then either manually update a badly out of date HTML Help
system or port the Quark manual out to Robohelp for conversion to Help. I
don't think that Quark has many capabilities in this regard, but it's
been a while since I've used it. Does anyone have any suggestions?>>>

Rod, AFAIK there are no tools that would allow you to tag a Quark doc for
Online Help, and generate it with one click.

In lieu of that, check the Quark site to see if there are Quark XTensions
for TOC and Index creation/tagging. Otherwise, you'll have to recreate
these (yuk!)

Does all the Quark content come from a single text flow? If so:

* save the text as a DOC or RTF file (File > Save Text)
* If you have to recreate the TOC/Index, I'd add TOC and Index fields to
the exported doc, and then import it into RoboHELP. (RoboHELP will
convert the TOC and Index fields to CNT/HHC and keyword entries.)

If your Quark doc has multiple text flows, you've got a lot of monkey
work ahead of you:)

Lastly - for the sake of accuracy (i.e., before someone else makes the
point,) what you're doing is repositioning content - not single sourcing.

Good luck - Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com