RE: Voice Recognition Software...

Subject: RE: Voice Recognition Software...
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:40:57 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Ressler [mailto:JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 2:05 PM
Subject: Voice Recognition Software...

Sometimes when I am lazy, I really just want to sit and talk to (at) my
computer, rather than type. Is there any solid voice recognition
software
out there?

[etc.]

Well, at the risk of sounding rather cynical, I predict that there will
never be a truly flawless universal speech recognition system, like on
STAR TREK -- at least not one that lets everyone speak purely naturally
-- because there are just too many variations in the way a given word or
phrase can be uttered. Someone with one regional dialect will say it
using a whole different set of phonemes than someone with another
regional dialect -- and the same person will say the same word or phrase
differently, depending on their mood. Fortunately, human beings have
this thing called "categorical perception" that lets us ignore all the
variations, but can you program that into a computer?