Re: Client requirements [was W2 vs. 1099...]

Subject: Re: Client requirements [was W2 vs. 1099...]
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:09:32 -0400

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:50:18 -0700, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

>> ...All the client has to say in the matter is that I must
>> contractually deliver X document in X format on X date.
>
>But, to do that, you *typically* have to use Tool X, as the client demanded, which is precisely the point under discussion.
>
>Besides, we're not just talking about *creation* tools. The client can also dictate which access-control and versin-management tool you use. They may require you to use their in-house time-tracking tool in order to submit invoices for your hourly rate. They may require you to copy interim source files to their servers every day.

Perhaps you saw my posting on content. When I hire a contractor, I
hire for the content, not the form. Typically, once the contractor
finishes the material one of the editors or staff writers takes charge
of it. They format it and log it into the version control system.

I don't expect a contractor to be able to deal with our templates
(which are unusual and easy to misunderstand). I do expect adherence
to the style guide, but as I said in the other posting, I just want
good content. I don't care what tools you use.

Of course, I seem to be in the minority.
-Doc
David W Lettvin
VerText
South Hamilton, MA