Re: Newbie Word Question

Subject: Re: Newbie Word Question
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:31:54 -0400

Drat... please excuse my last attempt (I hit the wrong key -- and who knew
Ctrl-Enter would mean "Send" to ccMail?).

Evan Martin asked about images in Word files... I'd say there are as many ways
to handle this as there are writers. My method is the polar opposite to
Sean's--I embed graphics; I don't link them.

I had one bad experience with linked graphics: I inherited a large document that
a previous writer had created, linking to graphics on a network drive. Since I
had a different username, I also had a slightly different path to those files. I
opened the document and no pictures appeared. Eventually I think I figured out
how to change the paths, but it was a mess for a while. Had I sent that Word doc
to other people for review, I think they would have run into the same problem.

I create GIFs for my graphics and use Insert > Picture > From File. (Other folks
can explain why not to insert graphics as objects, but I don't recall the
reason.) I also stash the GIF file somewhere in case I need to modify it later.

Christine