Re: 1099 vs W-2

Subject: Re: 1099 vs W-2
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:05:19 -0400

jp wrote:

> Hi, guys...
>
> I was just offered a position at a gig I REALLY want. However, while they
> will convert me to a W-2, they want me to start as a 1099.
>
> I realize that this is a very open-ended question, but for those who have
> previously been a W-2 contractor through an agency and are now a 1099
> contractor directly to the employer, what issues have you found?
>
> BTW...the discussion can skip the part about taxes...I know about having to
> pay the employer end of the taxes...this is already included in my thinking
> and included in my anticipated rate.
>
> Thanks for any insight you may have.
>
> John Posada
> Senior Technical Writer
> john -at- tdandw -dot- com

Reader's Digest version.

For the skinny on this issue from the IRS point of view, see:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15a.pdf

>From your personal tax position, your income tax deductions are the
pretty much the same, with certain exceptions, whether you are an
independent contractor or employee. The major difference is that as an
independent contractor you can claim these deductions before you compute
your gross income. Meaning that they will not be subject to same
limitations as employee expense deductions are.
>From a business standpoint, it is easier to terminate an independent
contractor than an employee.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-