RE: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts

Subject: RE: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:15:17 -0400

::: I didn't take your post out of context. In the part of the
::: post you snipped,
::: you said pictures were better. I gave an example and asked
::: if it would work.

I am sorry if you misunderstood me, but I meant that in some situations,
images can better convey information than words.

::: So are you back tracking on the idea that pictures are
::: better, or are you
::: telling us the people you see in the hardware store would have no
::: understanding of carpentry?

Are you trying to make a point or are you carrying on for the sake of
carrying on? I am saying that there are times when images can be better
at communicating information than words. I have no idea what levels of
carpentry mastery the people I see in a hardware store might have, but
that's not the point, is it?

::: I've paid attention. You said pictures could convey
::: concepts better then
::: words. -- I was just pointing out that its not true. They
::: work together, but
::: neither by itself is adequate.

Either is adequate by itself in certain situations. Sometimes both are
required. Sometimes neither are required. It all depends on delivery,
audience, and the type of information being delivered. Or am I still not
clear?

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l