Re: PDF to Word Conversion Tool

Subject: Re: PDF to Word Conversion Tool
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:44:20 -0400

Bill Hall wrote:

I hope I'm not sending anyone on a wild goose chase, but a faint memory from
several years ago when I had the chance to experiment with Acrobat Capture
was that it had the option to save the OCRed text in a Word or RTF document,
and as I recall it even recognised tables and saved them in a table format.

But he already has a PDF with known text in in. The issue in this case isn't figuring out what characters are there; it's conveying the semantic relationships among the characters. Yes, Acrobat--without using Capture--can export all the contents of the page as RTF or plain text. You can even copy and paste. You can even select a column of text, then copy and paste it. What you cannot reliably do, except in the simplest and most consistent of tables, is export the contents of a page as a _table_ in the sense of something Excel or Access can understand as a table, which is what Jim's original question was.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l