RE: How do you improve your technical writing skills?

Subject: RE: How do you improve your technical writing skills?
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:48:05 -0700

For the writing part, practice is a good start, as Bill Swallow
mentioned. Two books you could pick up: Style, Toward Clarity and Grace"
(ISBN: 0226899152) and "Style, 10 Lessons in Clarity and Grace" (ISBN:
0321024087) by Joseph H Williams and Elements of Style by Strunk and
White (ISBN: 020530902X).

If you're talking about the part where you figure out the steps for
completing audience analysis, that sort of thing, look at the web sites
Bill offered.

I doubt you're going to find "tutorials" although you may find some
online courses where you have interaction with real people (I can't
imagine doing it without the feedback of a real person). You will find
sites that talk about process, sites that compare good and bad writing.
(Does anyone remember the site that has the "Bad tech writing of the
month" contest?)

I practice by trying not to get to complacent about what I'm doing. I
don't have an editor or other writers around to criticize what I'm
doing, so I just try to remember to constantly question myself.

Lisa