RE: documenting a TLB file

Subject: RE: documenting a TLB file
From: Dubey Akash <Akash -dot- Dubey -at- sisl -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:44:14 +0530

Hi Colleen,

As per my understanding, you want to provide information on all the methods
enclosed in TLB. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Moreover, you also want to
display the appropriate help topic while a programmer is coding in Visual
Basic, and hits F1 after placing the cursor within the method name (i.e.
context-sensitive help).

We have implemented the same functionality for all the DLLs (created by
compiling IDL) of our product's Architecture. FYI, A type library is a
binary version of an Interface Definition Language (IDL) file. It contains a
binary description of the interfaces exposed by a component.

The programmers in our organization compile IDL (Interface Definition
Language) file to generate DLL. This compilation also generates the
corresponding TLB file automatically. If same technique is followed in your
organization, then perform the following steps to provide context-sensitive
help for all the methods enclosed in the DLL (TLB).

1. Include the "helpfile" attribute in the attribute's block preceding the
"library" block. Refer to the following example.

[
uuid(221779B4-3B6C-11D4-94DD-00B0D02D8DB8),
version(1.0),
helpstring("TestClass 1.0 Type Library"),
helpfile("...Dir Path...\Test_Online_Reference.chm")
]

library HPERSISTENCELib
{
importlib("stdole32.tlb");
importlib("stdole2.tlb");
//...
//...
}

2. Include the "helpcontext" attribute in the attribute's block preceding
the "interface" block. Refer to the following example.

[
object,
uuid(7D5686E3-9CDD-46F0-92B2-B39B71205319),
dual,
helpstring("IHPersistent Interface"),
helpcontext(<unique_no>),
pointer_default(unique)
]

interface ITest : IDispatch
{
//...
};

3. Include the "helpcontext" attribute before the method name. Refer to the
following example.

interface ITest : IUnknown
{
[helpstring("method Test"), helpcontext(<unique_no>)] HRESULT Test([in]
param1, [in] param2, [out, retval] param3);
};

4. Add the same map IDs (unique no) to the corresponding topics in your
'.chm' file.

For queries, if any, feel free to drop as many lines as you want :-)

Regards,
Akash

Technical Writer
Siemens Information Systems Limited