RE: Compensation for commuting? was RE: seating arrangements

Subject: RE: Compensation for commuting? was RE: seating arrangements
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:02:37 -0400

::: You're assuming here, of course, that Ola's being paid a
::: salary. If the pay
::: is hourly, the per hour wage may not be affected.

If salary, it can be adjusted or a compromise can be met. If hourly, a
compromise can be met. A very popular and agreeable compromise is to pay
the employee (who is now burdened with a much longer commute due to
business reorg/displacement) a travel reimbursement, usually between
$0.30 and $0.35 (US) per mile. The reimbursement can be handled via
expense forms. I suggest bringing it up with your manager.

::: The question then becomes this. Is the extra pay enough to
::: compensate for
::: the added expense of commuting and any other expenses
::: (e.g., additional work
::: wardrobe) that are now incurred because Ola's now working
::: in the work place.

Yes and no. It's up to the individual and the company, and of course the
situation. I once took a job that gave me a 55 mile one-way commute,
which took anywhere from 45 minutes and 3 hours to drive (depending on
when I left home/work). What ended up happening was me leaving home at
6am, arriving at work at 6:45 or 7am, staying until about 7pm, and then
making it home before 8pm. Wasn't healthy for my family life (had a
toddler at home). I eventually quit, though for different reasons than
the commute. My pay was considerably more than I had been making
elsewhere, which was why I took the job, but looking back, I really
should have requested travel reimbursement, as that would have been an
"extra" $165.00 to $192.50 a week, or $8,085.00 to $9,432.50 a year
(given a year's worth of travel minus three weeks' vacation). But that
is aside from salary, as it's expensed.

Of course given I was putting about 27,000 miles a year on my poor VW
Golf (getting about 34 miles per gallon, and gas being about $1.40 per
gallon on average, plus oil changes at every 5,000 miles at about $30.00
a pop), the travel expense wouldn't have been great, but it would have
at least paid for the wear and tear, gas, and upkeep, plus a little
extra for my time and for peace of mind.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l