RE: grammar advice: infinitive in US English

Subject: RE: grammar advice: infinitive in US English
From: "Cathy Walter" <cd -at- dpcgroup -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:14:12 -0500

Elizabeth OShea asked:
>My question is about the following sentence and whether or not it's
>correct in US English:
>
>'To enable people subscribe to your company's mailing list...'
>
>Or, should it read 'To enable people to subscribe...'>

I vote for "to subscribe." Even if the bare infinitive could be correct in
this instance, I think you're right in thinking it will look wrong to
American audiences.

Re your question about a grammar list, COPYEDITING-L is a wonderful list for
questions such as yours.

To quick subscribe -- send a BLANK message to:
copyediting-l-subscribe-request -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu (subscribe)

Alternatively, visit the web site at
http://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=copyediting-l&A=1

Cathy Walter 972-582-0778
DPC Group, Inc. 972-580-0798 f