Re: Further education required?

Subject: Re: Further education required?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:36:45 -0400

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

<<Possibly an exception to this comment are specific skill courses, such as
programming? If you already have basic writing skills or credentials,these
courses show that you're updating your skills, and also help to open up more
technical positions - which not only increase the number of jobs you're
qualified for, but also make you a candidate for some better paying jobs.>>

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But I don't think it's in anyone's best
interest to fall back to school and wait for bettter times. Particularily if
it's a degree program. Get a job now AND update your skills to earn more. Or, as
the rest of my post continued with, make looking for a job your full-time job
AND update your skills.

Without a job it's going to be difficult to pay for any decent courses. Get too
far into debt and it's going to be difficult to keep your head above water even
with a good paying job. Seems to me that just disappearing from the job market
to further your studies is just wishful thinking. There's no guarantee that the
skills you gain will be of much use once you graduate with another diploma nor
that the job market will improve. In fact, if the diploma you just spent X years
fulltime getting isn't getting you a job it already shows that school has either
failed you or it demonstrates that a piece of paper doesn't necesarily amount to
much in the job market. Then of course we can question whether a degree really
conveys anything about your skills. What will another (albeit different) one do
for you?

Eric L. Dunn

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l