RE: Looking for advice -- up to the job?

Subject: RE: Looking for advice -- up to the job?
From: "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:43:50 +0100

<analyst's hat on>
It seems to me that your "parting company" with your present employers has,
naturally enough, knocked your self-confidence. I'm not going to tell you to
"adopt a positive attitude", firstly because its easier said than done, and
secondly because you do need to be honest about your weaknesses as well as
strengths. However, be aware that the shock of your unemployment may be
colouring your view of your abilities.
</analyst's hat off>

Of all the areas you mentioned, training seems to be the one you are most
positive about. Your main concern seems to be that it is "hard to get into".
Have you thought about teaching adult education classes in computer skills?
Classes in basic computer skills are very popular but it is very difficult
to get teachers. It may be only part-time and not very well-paid, but it
would give you a foot in and help you decide if that is what you want to do.
Universities, colleges, and schools often have adult education classes in
the evening. Other sources of information may be community centres, job
centres, and training institutions. Cybercafes also offer such classes in
the daytime and evening.

You may also benefit from reading "What Colour is Your Parachute".

This email (and any attachment) is private and confidential. If you were
not meant to receive it, please delete it and tell us by phone or email.
Although we scan all email and attachments we do not accept responsibility
for viruses.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l