Re: Out of Work Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Out of Work Tech Writers
From: "Doc" <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:20:49 -0400

Hi Suzanne--

I'm doing better thanks.

I decided to take the opportunity to try to stay independent. I am starting
to do some consulting and some freelance technical editing and writing.

At 53, I've had my fill of being employed "at will" and would prefer to
retain control of my life :->

If this intrigues you, let me suggest some good resources.

1. The January 1998 issue of Fast Company is dedicated to "Free Agency."
They have a list of resources and some inspirational stories.

2. The same magazine has a lot of online resources, including something
called Company of Friends which can provide some excellent networking
opportunities.

3. Some of our professional organizations can provide various levels of
insurance and other types of support that we normally depend on employers to
provide. IEEE, STC, ICCA, ACM, etc. have organizational discounts.

4. The National Association of the Self-Employed (NASE) provides a
moderately complete infrastructure for the independent technical
communicator. They include health insurance.

5. At my age, I'm getting barraged by mailings from an organization that I
used to dismiss. But now I look at the discounts available and wonder just
how embarrasing it would be to save money by pulling out an AARP member
card.

-Doc
David Lettvin
VersaText

Disclaimer: My opinions are the opinions of the company . . . it's MY
company!

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l